Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Trends that are beautiful forever

THESE DAYS I would dissuade people from following trends per se. What I would rather do is encourage people to do 2 things - understand their own personal style and find joy in simple things. If you ensure that every investment you make, from a humble domestic item such as a broom, to a larger piece of furniture, conforms with your own personal style then who needs trends? If an object is truly beautiful today it should be beautiful forever. Paul Hecker

I love this statement that I discovered in an Australian shelter pub, BELLE, this weekend while sitting under a tree at the Walker Sculpture Park. I read it and it sings to me like great lyrics in a song. It is so true. I feel so fortunate to be surrounded by furniture, artwork and all the other little entities that Bryce and I have gathered along our journey together. We have had so many ups and downs with 747, but right now I feel like I am in the honeymoon stage with our home. More and more things are coming together on the interior & exterior.

A few snap shots of what is currently occupying our free time on the interior. Finishing touches in the kitchen..... We finally installed the stone backsplash after it sat in the garage for over a year and the revised island/table arrived. Along with finishing touches the simple things I am enjoying are an open door in the kitchen that lets in the fresh air with a scent of Lily of the Valley and a long table for friends to gather around while drinking wine and singing 80's music.
Artwork by Lori Henson from the Casket Arts Building in NE Minneapolis. I like to think of it as Frida in my kitchen. The smaller piece, the Red C, by Dede Magnuson from the Northrup King Building in NE Minneapolis
Our kitchen island or should I say long & lean Parson's got delivered this weekend from R&B after a needed middle leg on the first Parsons.
The line up of Emeco stools.
The door finally open on a sunny day/sunny moment.





No comments:

Post a Comment